Over 8,000 websites created by students around the world who have participated in a ThinkQuest Competition.
Around the Solar System in 80 Days
The educational objectives of the students' project are as follows:
1. To provide an overview of some basic facts about each of the planets in our solar system.
2. To show recent pictures of each of the planets.
3. To convey these facts in a fun way so young visitors to the site would be interested and want to stay for awhile and possibly return for another visit. This was accomplished by pretending that famous explorers from Earth visited the planets on a mysterious 80 day journey. Animation was also used to create an enticing environment for young visitors.
4. To make the site interactive by creating a game for the visitors to play and creating an Explorer's Log where visitors post comments for other guests to see. There is also a link where visitors can e-mail the students who created the web site.
5. To provide links to other interesting sites that provide more information about our solar system. These sites were thoroughly researched and are appropriate for young viewers.
6. To provide a bibliography where others could go for further research.
7. A secondary objective, aside of creating the web page, was to foster teamwork and encourage the students to meet regularly to give the finished product a "single voice". I feel we more than met that objective as the site is truly a collaborative effort, without any one student trying to "outshine" another.
19 & under
Science & Technology > Astronomy > Solar System