Music in our Lives
• How does music improve the quality of life?
• Curriculum standards
1. Write a variety of expository texts which include a thesis in the introduction, supporting details in the body, and transition words throughout leading to the conclusion. Additionally, writing will include information from primary and secondary sources that has been quoted, paraphrased.
2. Use appropriate conventions for documentation in the text, notes and bibliographies by adhering to those in style manuals.
3. Write a narrative which explores experiences and events, using language in natural, fresh and vivid ways to establish a specific tone.
4. Write responses to literature or texts to demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the significant ideas in words or passages; analyze the imagery language, universal themes, and unique aspects of the text; supporting important ideas and view points through accurate and detailed references to texts.
1. Read various types of authentic texts in order to interpret, extract information, identify literary elements and techniques, make judgments, form conclusions, and establish global relationships through analysis and critical thinking.
2. Participate in interdisciplinary projects requiring the integration of language skills with academic areas.
3. Apply reading strategies such as skimming, scanning, and summarizing in order to better understand the text.
• Expected outcomes
1. To communicate in different situations producing comprehensible written texts.
2. To solicit, give and exchange information understanding the purpose and message in various situations.
3. To learn writing techniques that can be applied in academic and personal setting.
4. To understand the importance of the written word in self-expression.
1. To comprehend authentic literary and expository texts of various lengths.
2. To skim and scan for meaning of authentic texts for various communicative purposes.
3. To draw conclusions and find relationships that aid in the interpretation of the text.
4. To develop a positive attitude towards reading, respect for diverse cultures, and motivation to further promote reading in English.
1. To respect and value differing beliefs, ideas and opinions; to view dialogue as a platform for conflict-resolution and an approximation to the truth.
2. To promote motivation and a quest for knowledge; to search for, select and use relevant information.
• Required resources:
-Primary source information (survey, interview, or letter)
• This project will inform people on how music helps to develop our minds and lives.
Maria FlorenciaVilla Maria Academy, XIII región Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
FERNANDAVilla Maria Academy, XIII región Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
DANIELAVilla Maria Academy, XIII región Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
JOSEFAVilla Maria Academy, XIII región Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
19 & under
Jacinda ForsterVilla Maria Academy, XIII región Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
Arts & Entertainment
In every class our group got a little more organized. We divided each theme of the essay and each one of us dedicated a 100% to it. We gathered one evening after school in Florencia’s house to work together and discuss the different subjects. Daniela worked on the introduction and the conclusion, Florencia the History of the music, Fernanda in the medical relation with music and Josefa in how the world gets united by music. Each one of us looked up general information at the beginning and when we divided our themes we helped each other sharing our paraphrases.
At the beginning it was difficult for us get organized and decide what idea we wanted to research. First, none of us investigated about art so we immediately eliminated that part from the narrative. Later, we decided to talk about music and our investigation guided us to create a thesis. In every website it was published that music has medical benefits, especially in psycology. We were interesed in how it has influenced people during history. We realized that last year in Chile a concert was performed to defend life and fight against abortion. We got interested in this subject and wanted to know other performances that have been done around the world whose objective was to unify the world and make peace.