Chile: The Bottom of the World has Its Wonders
• Do you know Chile and the many wonders that is has?
• Curriculum standards
1. Write a variety of expository texts which include a thesis in the introduction, supporting details in the body, and transition words throughout leading to the conclusion. Additionally, writing will include information from primary and secondary sources that has been quoted, paraphrased.
2. Use appropriate conventions for documentation in the text, notes and bibliographies by adhering to those in style manuals.
3. Write a narrative which explores experiences and events, using language in natural, fresh and vivid ways to establish a specific tone.
4. Write responses to literature or texts to demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the significant ideas in words or passages; analyze the imagery language, universal themes, and unique aspects of the text; supporting important ideas and view points through accurate and detailed references to texts.
1. Read various types of authentic texts in order to interpret, extract information, identify literary elements and techniques, make judgments, form conclusions, and establish global relationships through analysis and critical thinking.
2. Participate in interdisciplinary projects requiring the integration of language skills with academic areas.
3. Apply reading strategies such as skimming, scanning, and summarizing in order to better understand the text.
• Expected outcomes
1. To communicate in different situations producing comprehensible written texts.
2. To solicit, give and exchange information understanding the purpose and message in various situations.
3. To learn writing techniques that can be applied in academic and personal setting.
4. To understand the importance of the written word in self-expression.
1. To comprehend authentic literary and expository texts of various lengths.
2. To skim and scan for meaning of authentic texts for various communicative purposes.
3. To draw conclusions and find relationships that aid in the interpretation of the text.
4. To develop a positive attitude towards reading, respect for diverse cultures, and motivation to further promote reading in English.
1. To respect and value differing beliefs, ideas and opinions; to view dialogue as a platform for conflict-resolution and an approximation to the truth.
2. To promote motivation and a quest for knowledge; to search for, select and use relevant information.
• Required resources:
-Primary source information (survey, interview, or letter)
• This project will help people to get to know Chile better and its many wonders.
FERNANDAVilla Maria Academy, XIII región Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
ROSARIOVilla Maria Academy, XIII región Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
JOSEFINAVilla Maria Academy, XIII región Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
19 & under
Jacinda ForsterVilla Maria Academy, XIII región Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
Geography & Travel > South America
In order to complete our Thinkquest Project our team worked very had, but together. We complemented each other, because if one of us was good at writing, she would help and correct the other’s work, or if another one liked photography, she would help the others to choose the pictures we were going to upload. Each one added their essence to the project, with the enthusiasm, the responsibility or the design part. We helped each other to get the pictures of Chile, because it is not easy to find people that had gone to the specific place we needed and would give us their permission to use their photo, but each one knew someone that had gone to a part of Chile and that could help us. We united our strengths to create our final work.
The members of our team were different and had many things to contribute in the project. For example, one of us had gone to the North, so she had pictures and knew about their culture. Another one had a relative that had gone to the Antarctic, so we could use some videos that she had. We searched in many websites, to find the most accurate and complete information of the different parts of Chile. With all these different sources that each one of us found, we could complete our project. In our final project website, we show the diversity of the landscapes of our country, from the driest desert of the world up to the dense and marvelous vegetation of the South, including the history and the capital of the country. So, in this way we demonstrate to all the people that Chile is a great country that is worth visiting.