Over 8,000 websites created by students around the world who have participated in a ThinkQuest Competition.
The Adventures of Mineral Man and His Rock Hound
The Lake Windward Elementary School ThinkQuest Jr. team built a website for two heroes we created, Mineral Man and his faithful side-kick Rock Hound. they will take you on incredible adventures mining our web site for knowledge and fun about rocks and minerals on the earth and far beyond. You will learn about: 1) How Rocks Are Born: earth formation, crust and rock cycle; 2) The Secrets of Rocks: geological time and fossils; 3) What Makes Each Rock Unique: classifications and characteristics; 4) How To Get a Rock To Tell You It's Name: identification, testing and Moh's scale; 5) Rocks That Are Out of This World: moon rocks and meteorites; 6) The Hard Truth About Rocks and Minerals: nutrition, industry and value. The educational objectives one should be able to perform after visiting our site are as follows:
1. Identify the properties of minerals using hardness, luster, color, streak and cleavage.
2. Define the properties of minerals.
3. Classify minerals using their properties.
4. Construct a chart for mineral and rock collection.
5. Compare and contrast rocks by their physical properties
6. Classify rocks using their properties: color, number of minerals, etc.
7. Define terminology related to the study of rocks and minerals.
8. Analyze a model of the Earth's layers.
9. Discover rocks and minerals in one's own environment.
10. Assess knowledge by participating in quizzes and puzzles.
11. Discriminate age of fossils given background information.
12. Predict what rock layers will look like when forced together.
19 & under
Science & Technology > Earth Science